[Histonet] CD10, CD103, FDA, fatty tissues, complement, frozen blocks, fixation

Bryan Hewlett bhewlett <@t> cogeco.ca
Wed May 12 19:32:28 CDT 2004

John wrote:

>>My 2 cents on fixation- tissue is fixed when it's fixed.(Formalin
penetrates and fixes 2mm per hour , right?) It's not fixed because the
pathologist wants the tissue out early. I think the sixteen hours is
overkill myself and IHC retrieval methods are in place to counteract long
fixation. If it were my wife I would cut the tissue in at 4 mm, fix for 8
hours and run the tests like I do with all my patients. I've optimized my
lab to give every single person the best possible result. >>

The penetration rate of formaldehyde is largely irrelevant to tissue no more
than 1.5 cm thick.
However, it's NOT 2mm per hour and fixation takes much longer than this!
It's variable. d =K x the square root of time.
K = the coefficient of diffusibility.
Baker determined K=3.6, probably correct and a figure most people accept.
Helander's 1994 data suggests it is at least 2.0 and most likely close to
3.6.
Using K=3.6 in the above formula, the first layer of cells is penetrated at
a rate of over 90 mm per hour.
This slows to 3.6 mm at 1 hour.
It then takes 4 hours to double the depth penetrated to 7.2 mm, a rate of
1.8mm per hour.
At 16 hours, the depth is again doubled to 14.4 mm, a rate of 0.9 mm/hr.
i.e. to double the depth of penetration you must allow 4X the time and so
doing halves the rate!

Your 4mm tissue block would be fully penetrated in less than 1 hour (3.6 mm
from each surface)
What the issue really is, relates to the binding time necessary for
formaldehyde.
A 90% threshold binding, i.e. MINIMAL binding time is 24 hours at 22C and 18
hours at 37C.
It doesn't matter if your tissue is only a few cells thick or 4mm thick!
16 hours is not long fixation, 3 weeks may be, and is certainly NOT
overkill.
The weak initial binding of formaldehyde is freely reversed, 50% in about 12
hours, by the lower alcohols on the processor  and the tissue becomes fixed
by alcohol.
Any thing less than 8 hours formaldehyde fixation reduces the IHC for ER
demonstrably and HER2 markedly.

Bryan