[Histonet] Techs on Renal Biopsies

Richard Cartun Rcartun <@t> harthosp.org
Tue May 11 10:47:31 CDT 2004

I perform tissue evaluation during kidney biopsies and when I am not
available one of my MD colleagues backs me up.  We treat these as
intraoperative consultations and bill for them.  Decisions regarding
obtaining another core of tissue are made based on our interpretation.
Personally, I feel that it is too much responsibility to place upon a
Histotech.  My Immunopathology staff (mostly Histotechs with QIHC) will
participate in tissue triage (i.e., processing the tissue for EM, IF,
and light microscopy) once I have evaluated it.

Richard Cartun, Ph.D.
Director, Immunopathology
Hartford Hospital
Hartford, CT  06102

>>> "Vicki Gauch" <GauchV <@t> mail.amc.edu> 05/11/04 09:54AM >>>
I was just wondering how you all handle renal biopsy cases. Do your
histotechs go on the biopsies to identify glomeruli, adequacy of
tissue,and divide tissue for routine histology, immunofluorescence and
electron microscopy studies, etc. or, if not the techs, who handles
that
in your institution?
Thanks in advance for your help,

Vicki Gauch