[Histonet] help with elastic staining

Patsy Ruegg pruegg <@t> colobio.com
Fri Mar 19 13:18:46 CST 2004

I have this problem when I do a Pentachrome stain for elastic fibers, the
fibers stain fine when I first do the hematoxylin but as I continue with the
rest of the stain the fiber stain is lost, I have remedied this by repeating
the hematoxylin again at the end of the staining process to get back the
fiber staining.  Try it.

Patsy

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu]On Behalf Of Deb
Stults
Sent: Friday, March 19, 2004 11:48 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] help with elastic staining

   We ran into a problem today with an elastic stain on an artery biopsy.
We're pretty sure it is due to a reagent problem, but not sure which one.
The elastic fibers did not stain at all.  We use Weigert's iron hematoxylin
solutions A and B, which are new bottles and worked yesterday in another
stain (we make up fresh before each use),  the Resorcin Fuchsin working
solution expired last week, and our new bottle (previously ordered) has not
yet arrived, and the Van Gieson's solution is brand new just opened today.
Since the fibers are not black, that makes me think that its the Weigert's,
but since the Resorcin Fuchsin is expired, we weren't sure if it could be
the problem.  If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know asap.  The
pathologist doesn't want to wait for new reagent to come in.
                                           Thanks,
                                                  Deb and Karen