[Histonet] help with elastic staining

Deb Stults DSTULTS <@t> fremontmemorial.org
Fri Mar 19 12:48:02 CST 2004

   We ran into a problem today with an elastic stain on an artery biopsy.  We're pretty sure it is due to a reagent problem, but not sure which one.  The elastic fibers did not stain at all.  We use Weigert's iron hematoxylin solutions A and B, which are new bottles and worked yesterday in another stain (we make up fresh before each use),  the Resorcin Fuchsin working solution expired last week, and our new bottle (previously ordered) has not yet arrived, and the Van Gieson's solution is brand new just opened today.  Since the fibers are not black, that makes me think that its the Weigert's,  but since the Resorcin Fuchsin is expired, we weren't sure if it could be the problem.  If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know asap.  The pathologist doesn't want to wait for new reagent to come in.
                                           Thanks,
                                                  Deb and Karen