[Histonet] Isopropanol tissue processing

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Thu Mar 18 10:01:13 CST 2004

We used isopropanol was used in place of ethyl alcohol as a dehydrant,  but
never replaced the xylene step just before paraffin with it.  I don't think
isopropyl alcohol is miscible with paraffin.  My Merck index says isopropyl
 is miscible with water, alcohol, ether and chloroform (carcinogenic) but
nothing said about paraffin.

After isopropyl gradient we cleared with xylene.  You will still need a
clearant, ie. xylene or one of the xylene substitutes to remove alcohol
before infiltration with paraffin.  Maybe a better solution is to find a
better clearant substitute before paraffin.

At 11:42 AM 3/18/2004 +1100, you wrote:
>Hi There
>
>Does anyone use Isopropanol in routine overnight parraffin processing
replacing xylol?? If you are willing could you please supply any protocols
you may use.
>Thanks for your help.
>
>Frances
>SDS Pathology