[Histonet] IHC negative protocols

Morken, Tim - Labvision tpmorken <@t> labvision.com
Wed Jun 16 16:17:58 CDT 2004

Dawn, best practice is that you have one negative control for each antibody
type and method variation. What I have done to save slides is used pooled
mouse/rabbit normal sera for a negative, and use it at the highest antibody
concentration used in the run.

However, negative controls are only useful if you see the same non-specific
staining on the "real" slide and the negative slide. If that is the case,
you many need to run several negative variations to rule out the cause.

Of course, no clinical pathology lab uses the gold standard negative  for
commercial antibodies -- pre-immune serum from the same animal the antibody
came from in the first place.  It's completely impractical, but everything
else we do is only a poor approximation of that.

Tim Morken
Lab Vision - Neomarkers
www.labvision.com

Free webhosting for US State Histotechnology Societies:
http://www.labvisioncorp.com/demowebsite