[Histonet] Securline markers

Connie McManus convmcm <@t> cc.usu.edu
Tue Jul 27 09:34:30 CDT 2004

Phone:  435/797-1891
fax: 435/797-2805

where am i going and why am i in this handbasket???

-----Original Message-----
From: Rebecca Barnhart [mailto:RBARNHART <@t> summithealth.org]
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 5:02 AM
To: convmcm <@t> cc.usu.edu; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Securline markers

We get preprinted xylene resistant labels to use for our paps only.  Our
liquid base are sent elsewhere for processing and that is what they use,
so we started to just for our paps.  We get the labels from Surgipath.
We told them how we wanted the labels printed (our numbering system,
label and ink color, size and our hospital name on them)  For our
surgical and non-gyn our computer system prints regular labels.  Do you
have a computer system that you accession the cases in, like Meditech,
Sunquest, CoPath etc.?

Becky

>>> "Connie McManus" <convmcm <@t> cc.usu.edu> 07/26/04 05:50PM >>>
I stopped using secureline markers some time ago because the writing
on
an entire rack of slides came off completely.  I agree with you...you
shouldn't have to add xylene to pens.  They should have better QC than
that. We use a pencil to write the accession number on the slides
before
we cut, then apply  paper sticky labels after cover slipping. The
information is set up in MS Excel and printed on large label paper.
This
is time intensive, but we don't have a slide labeler and I can't think
of any other options.  If there are any out there, I'm all ears, too
*g*

Connie McManus
Utah Veterinary Diagnostics Laboratory
Utah State University