[Histonet] weird brownish stuff in AEC slides

SMITH,REBEKAH FELICIA rockbeki <@t> ufl.edu
Tue Jul 6 22:02:55 CDT 2004

Hey all! Here's an update on the brownish stains on my aec slides.
(Btw, I sadly don't have pictures of what I'm talking about
because our new microscope with camera has not yet arrived.)I
tried to dilute my enzyme conjugate by 25% in the hopes it would
avoid the metachromasia problem, but the brown stains are still
there (although lighter) and worse, the AEC is barely visible. I
think those of you who suggested it could be blood in the tissue
might have a point, but my professor is not overly fond of using
picric acid so if any of y'all have any other ideas, that would be
great. Also, if any of you ever do both DAB and AEC in your labs,
is it possible that one set of DAB slides could get DAB onto AEC
slides if the some of the reagents (like PBS) are shared? (Another
tech was working on his slides at the same time that i was doing
my run.)

   Thanks!

Rebekah Smith