[Histonet] Validation for IHC

Morken, Tim - Labvision tpmorken <@t> labvision.com
Fri Jan 30 13:47:09 CST 2004

Joyce, That is one way to validate how well your system works. I used to do
that with our controls. It is also helpful to reciprocate with the other
lab. It is especially helpful if the other lab uses a different
kit/chemistry than your lab uses. You can also do it by:
1) using different(but same target)antibodies and kits in house on the same
tissue to control for kit variations,
2) using non-sense antibodies (those that should not stain on the
tissue/tumor)to control for non-specific tissue staining,
3) checking specificity by testing non-target tissue with the antibody and
4) comparing several control blocks of varying staining intensity (tisse
arrays are good for this type of test as well as #3).

If you choose to use another lab I would suggest random testing - not
everything. Doing everything that way can get mighty complicated and add a
lot to the workload. Maybe even just your most heavily used antibodies.

Tim Morken
Lab Vision / Neomarkers
www.labvision.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Joyce Cline [mailto:jcline <@t> wchsys.org]
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2004 11:18 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Validation for IHC

     Does anyone send their positive control tissue to another lab for
validation of their immuno staining?
     The path that is over the immuno area wants me to varify the use of my
patient controls by sending to another lab to show that these controls are
positive by another source.
     Has anyone been CAP inspected and asked if they do this? Seems he
thinks an inspector is going to ask this.