[Histonet] cryostat sections of undecalcified tissue implants

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Mon Jan 26 14:50:26 CST 2004

Patsy et al,

RA Dodds did not embed his bone samples, he coated them with 4% polyvinyl
alcohol (70,000 MW water soluble) then dropped them into a dry ice/Hexane
mixture to snap freeze.  After freezing, he placed bone on dry ice to
evaporate the nasty hexane fumes, and mounted the bones on a metal chuck
with the 4% PVA.  Personally, I do not like this mixture as an embedding
media, OCT works just as well. OCT does have PVA in it, but which one is
proprietary, MW unknown, this is combined with Polyethylene glycol (MW
unknown) and is softer than Dodds method, but with tape transfer, we have
no problems with OCT.

You can use OCT, and we dilute it 1:1 with water to do the coating for that
method. It works just as well as the 4% PVA.  Most of the time, we embed
bone directly in OCT, which helps surround the sample for support during
sectioning.

Dodds has a publication in J O Histotechnology  some years back, and John
Tarpley has a wonderful publication last year on sectioning bone with the
Cryojane tape transfer.  The methods are worth reading.

Gayle Callis
MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)
Research Histopathology Supervisor
Veterinary Molecular Biology