[Histonet] cryostat sections of undecalcified tissue implants

Patsy Ruegg pruegg <@t> colobio.com
Mon Jan 26 13:45:33 CST 2004

Liz,
It depends on how big and crunchy it is.  Dabbs method for cutting fs of
bone marrow biopsies undecalcified worked pretty well on small samples.  He
embedded in (I can't think of the name of it off the top of my head) but it
set up harder than OCT.
I have done whole rat femurs without decal using the tape transfer system
and D profile tungsten carbide knives.  I have also done fs on osicles of
collagen sponges treated with growth factors to stimulate bone and cartilage
formation.  Some of them at early stages could be cut in the cryostat
without using the tape and the more developed one's could not.
Hopes this helps.
Patsy

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu]On Behalf Of Elizabeth
Chlipala
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2004 12:18 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] cryostat sections of undecalcified tissue implants

Hello all

Is it possible to section undecalcified cryostat sections from implants
(no plastic) from a rat subcutaneous implant animal model.  The implants
will have possibly new bone and cartilage, not very dense bone, but some
bone.  Would I need to use a tape transfer system or could I use a
tungsten knife and be o.k.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Liz

Elizabeth A. Chlipala, BS, HTL(ASCP)
Premier Histology Laboratory, LLC
P.O. Box 18592
Boulder, Colorado 80308
Office: (303) 735-5001
Fax: (303) 735-3540
lizchlipala <@t> premierhistology.com
www.premierhistology.com

Ship to Address:
Premier Histology Laboratory
University of Colorado
MCBD, Room A3B40
Boulder, Colorado 80309

This email and any files transmitted with it may contain PRIVILEGED or
CONFIDENTIAL information and may be read or used only by the intended
recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of the email or any of
its attachments, please be advised that you have received this email in
error and that any use, dissemination, distribution, forwarding,
printing, or copying of this email or any attached files is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately
purge it and all attachments and notify the sender by reply email or
contact the sender at the number listed above if one is provided.