[Histonet] Embedding W/WO Melted Paraffin

Nick Kirk nick.kirk3 <@t> btopenworld.com
Wed Jan 21 13:36:18 CST 2004

George

We send all of ours away now as we do so few it's difficult to retain the
level of expertise required.
thanks for the offer though.

As for the Robin Hood boyhood dreams, well sorry to burst your bubble but
the Earl of Huntingdon was a Victorian invention that got into the legend
and was then firmly concreted into the myth by the likes of Errol Flynn (who
incidentally was a jobbing actor at the Northampton Repertory Theatre just a
few miles down the road, before he made it big in Hollywood).
The real Earl of Huntingdon who lived at the time of the Magna Carta when
"The Hooded Man" was supposed to have lived was David de HUNTINGDON Earl of
Huntingdon (1144-1219) and not old "Bob Hood"
The Earl was the son of the King of Scotland. There was a castle at
Huntingdon, but it was destroyed by King Henry II (Richard I and John's
father) when it transpired that the Earl's family plotted to overthrow him.
That may have something to do with how he got mixed up in the legend.
All that remains of it now is a grassy hump in a park in the town.

Incidentally the Earls descendents were on the side of the Royalists during
the English Civil War and another son of Huntingdon, one Oliver Cromwell,
laid siege to their nice new castle at Ashby-de-la-Zouch in Leicestershire
and destroyed it. So the Earls of Huntingdon never had much luck with
castles.
Sherwood Forest is also about 70 miles away. Not far these days, but in
1205, a very long way away.

Here endeth today's History lecture.
Tomorrow, another son of Huntingdon, the diarist Samuel Pepys.

Nicke Kirke
Ye Head Purveyor of leeches and strange pungent unctures
Histopathology
Hinchingbrooke Hospital for ye sicke and Infirmed
Huntingdon
Merry Olde England