[Histonet] Hope you all aren't freezing in the east!

Philip Oshel peoshel <@t> wisc.edu
Fri Jan 16 13:58:37 CST 2004

Nice, mid-twenties, skate-sailers out on the frozen Lake Mendota. No
snow, though, rats.
But why so cold? Well, I think of a couple of  reasons ... one,
naturally (all together now) is global  warming. The air heats up
even more in the tropics and subtropics, especially over the oceans,
and rises to the upper atmosphere, which is at lower pressure. The
upper atmosphere is colder, and the air expands at the lower
pressure, cooling it further. Global warming increases the amount of
warm air rising to loose its heat. Looking at a  general global
circulation map, we find a general flow of air from the tropics to
the higher latitudes in the upper atmosphere. This air gets even
colder as it moves north (or south), then sinks, and there we are!
lots more cold air sinking in the temperate latitudes because there's
lots more hot air in the subtropics and tropics.
Don't like that one? OK, how about basic physics.
Heat is molecular motion, right? At normal pressures, molecules move
very little before bouncing off of another molecule. These collisions
transfer energy from one molecule to another, and the molecule that
lost energy moves slower or cools. But! Following the Second Law of
Thermodynamics, we find that there cannot be a 100% efficient
transfer of energy, some is always lost, so the energy-receiving
molecule in the example above is not warmed as much as the
energy-donating molecule is cooled. As a  result, the bulk
temperature drops, and over time and all molecules, the population of
molecules gets slower and slower, i.e. gets colder and colder.
So it's really cold in the eastern US basically because their
molecules are fatigued from all the jostling.
Or how about ...
You're right, it's the bugs. Many species do freeze in the winter,
depending on natural cryoprotectants to survive the freezing. But,
recall that orange growers in Florida spray water on their crop
during a frost advisory to prevent freezing. Why? Latent heat -- the
freezing water in the spray  gives off heat as the water
crystallizes, and this keeps the oranges above freezing. For the
short while Florida gets freezing temperatures (which is why people
in New Hampshire don't carry spray bottles outdoors in the winter).
What does this have to do with bugs? After ice freezes, it's still
water, with a high specific heat, and it takes up heat from the
environment. Same with the bugs: Winter comes, they freeze, giving
off latent heat   and briefly warming their surroundings  --  we call
it Indian Summer -- and then, finally frozen, they suck all the rest
of the heat out of things.
So take your choice: global warming, tired  molecules, or frozen bugs.

Phil
By the way, I've got this nice bridge in Brooklyn, if you're
interested -- a bit icy, but only used by little old ladies on Sunday

--
Philip Oshel
Supervisor, BBPIC microscopy facility