[Histonet] Formalin down the sink

BRobert <@t> ameripath.com BRobert <@t> ameripath.com
Fri Jan 16 10:48:21 CST 2004

Barbara,
You know like me how hazardous formalin is, the best, safest and most
economical way to dispose of it based on my experience is to neutralise it
first and then dispose of it down the drain after testing the completed
reaction.
We use Formalex from American Bio Safety cat# FX-05. We neutralize at the
end of the day, let sit overnight and test and dump the following morning.
It works really well.
Good luck!

Brigitte Robert
Histology Lab. Manager
A.P.M.G Inc. Los Gatos, CA

-----Original Message-----
From: Barbara Murray [mailto:bamur <@t> alaska.net]
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2004 5:04 PM
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Formalin down the sink

Greetings,
We have been using a solidifier for our formalin, putting it into  biohazard
boxes for pickup by the  housekeeping dept. We were told by our Safety
Officer that we can now pour it down the drain with lots of running water.
For the ones of you who are using formalin, how are you disposing of it?
Thanks for your replies. Have a great day and weekend!

Barbara A. Murray,HT.(ASCP)
The Alaska Native Medical Center
Anchorage, Alaska