More on tricks to prevent RE: [Histonet] folds forming in bone/cartilage sections

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Thu Jan 15 09:57:11 CST 2004

I have done this in the past and exploded my bone sections to the point of
no return, it also will put "bubble" artifact aka vacuole in the nuclei of
cells IF the hot plate is too warm.

Another trick is to have a room temperature waterbath containing 10%
ethanol, lay section on that, pick up section, onto a nonplus charge slide,
then go to a warm waterbath and slowly lower section onto warmer water,
this will flatten sections.  In a pinch, I have also put a few drops of 10%
under the section after picking it up, then laying it on a warm water bath
to flatten.  Most of the time, a perfectly processed piece of bone has few
to no problems and you get the perfectly flat section with a very sharp
disposable blade.  Have been known to change blade edges between each
ribbon IF problems occur.  The price of a blade is cheap if I don't have to
constantly correct fold, compression, other problems with dicey,
frustrating bone sections.

By the way, this has all been discussed before on Histonet, archives are
searchable for more information.