[Histonet] aqueous counterstain for plant tissue

katherine-walters <@t> uiowa.edu katherine-walters <@t> uiowa.edu
Thu Jan 15 09:52:36 CST 2004

Dear Plant Gurus,

I'm doing an alkaline phosphatase immuno-stain on some plant tissues.  My
chromogen-substrate solution is fast red, so I can't use any organic solvents
or my signal will disappear.

I came across malachite green as a plant counterstain, and actually have an old
bottle, but I'm not sure how it works and my web search hasn't produced
anything very useful so far.

Does anyone remember this stain and how it works, or have a better suggestion
for a counterstain.  Hematoxylin isn't very useful due to the small size of
plant nuclei, I imagine a cell wall stain would work best, but most seem to be
alcoholic solutions.

Thanks a million for any help you can give me!

Kathy