[Histonet] RE: normal and molar solutions

Nick Kirk nick.kirk3 <@t> btopenworld.com
Tue Jan 13 17:15:48 CST 2004

As far as my addled brain can remember I think it goes like this.

Molar Solutions.

The molecular weight of a sodium chloride molecule (NaCl) is 58.44, so one
gram-molecular mass (=1 mole) is 58.44 g.
If you dissolve 58.44 g of NaCl in a final volume of 1 litre of water, you
have made a 1M NaCl solution, i.e. a 1 molar solution.

Normal Solutions.

A Normal solution contains in each cubic centimetre of water, as many
milligrams of the molecule in question as the number representing its atomic
weight; thus, a normal solution of sodium chloride would contain 58.44 mg of
Sodium chloride in each cubic centimetre of water.

Hope that explains it.

Nick Kirk
Histopathology
Hinchingbrooke Hospital