[Histonet] Frozen section ice artifact

Jackie.O'Connor <@t> abbott.com Jackie.O'Connor <@t> abbott.com
Mon Jan 12 12:07:46 CST 2004

Yo Histonetters, and Happy New Year.

I just cut some frozen sections of solid tumors in OCT which were supposed
to be snap frozen in liquid nitrogen after being put in plastic cryomolds.
I have never seen such horrible morphology in my career.  I think this is
an example of the absolute worst ice crystal artifact I have ever seen,
but since I have never seen anything this bad before, I don't know what
I'm seeing, you see?    I hope I've intrigued someone enough to email me
directly, so I can send you a gif file of this atrocity.  I think the
tissues were mishandled prior to freezing (someone else froze them) and
I'm trying to figure out what happened so I can correct the problem.  I'd
appreciate anyone who would like to take a look at this artifact - it's
awful, honest!

Jackie O'Connor