[Histonet] Prostate Needle Biopsies

GUTIERREZ, JUAN juan.gutierrez <@t> christushealth.org
Fri Feb 27 11:03:05 CST 2004

Thank God I don't have that problem anymore.  When I did we use to: in one place I worked we put eosin in the processor to better visualize the cores and we put them all in one cassette;  at another place we inked each bx a different color and submitted everything in one cassette also.  The key to get them all in one plain was to use tissue thumpers when embedding.  To make them fit into the small molds I groung the corners of the thumper with a Dremel tool, worked great.  Can you tell we didn't want to have too many blocks?  We use to get a bunch of them on Wednesdays so somebody always called in sick on Thursdays.  Good luck.

Juan

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Cindy DuBois [mailto:ccdub <@t> earthlink.net]
	Sent: Thu 2/26/2004 1:33 PM
	To: Histonet
	Subject: [Histonet] Prostate Needle Biopsies

	I just love this list.  It has helped me so much to do the best job I can.
	Now to my question:
	    How do other labs prepare their prostate biopsies?  I am talking about
	do you separate each biopsy into its' own cassette (whether they are
	received this way or not)?  Or do you put everything that is received in one
	specimen bottle into one cassette (inking them)?

	We have a debate going on at our lab right now as to which way is best.

	I like to know when I am embedding that there will only be one biopsy in
	each cassette rather than having to look up the case to find out how many
	there are suppose to be and making sure I get them all in the mold and on
	the same plane.  I have one pathologist who agrees with me.

	My co-workers and the PA want them one block per each container so there are
	less blocks to process and cut.

	Our other two pathologists say they don't have a preference.

	I would like to know what the consensus is on these two methods, or does
	anyone else have a better way of processing these things.

	Thank you in advance for your help in this matter,

	Cindy DuBois, HT ASCP
	DELTA PATHOLOGY ASSOC.
	STOCKTON, CA