[Histonet] Fixation of frozen tissue?

Geoff McAuliffe mcauliff <@t> umdnj.edu
Thu Feb 26 11:54:37 CST 2004

Hi Joe:

    Since the brain is already frozen I think you should consider
cutting it first, mounting the sections on slides, then fixing and
staining. Since the brain was frozen without fixation the morphology
won't be optimal no matter what you do. Also, there may be some
diffusion of immunoractive things. On the other hand, you could thaw
the tissue, especially if it is too big to fit on the stage of the
microtome, fix, cryoprotect and then cut but I don't think your results
will be any better, perhaps worse. If you do thaw the brain, I would do
it in cold fix so the tissue gets fixed as it thaws.
    The other thing that occurs to me is to make a
formalin/alcohol/acetic acid fix and chill that to below freezing, and
put the tissue in that for 24 hours, then thaw. This last idea is pure
speculation on my part!

Geoff

--
--