[Histonet] Substitute for acid cleaning

Bonnie Whitaker bwhitaker <@t> brownpathology.com
Thu Feb 19 09:08:16 CST 2004

I also also used the chlorox with good results, but I just wanted to caution
people to not leave any metal instruments soaking in there overnight, or for
very long.  I have ruined more forceps than I care to count by dropping them
in the dishwater to disinfect them, and forgetting and leaving them there
all night :)

Bonnie Whitaker

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Delventh3 <@t> aol.com
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2004 7:47 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Substitute for acid cleaning

Hello to all - I found that cleaning glass with 10% chlorox for at least 30
minutes and follow with several changes of distilled deionized water will
clean
glassware for silver staining.  When I have time I will soak overnight,
rinse
well, dry, and then cover with parafilm untill time to use.  Hopefully it
will work for you.  I have used this method in several different labs
throughout
the country (I do temp histology) and it has work well each time.

On an aside, I thought the typo was funny --made my day.  It's like those
times when the bad words come out unexpectedly under stress and you can't
take
them back!!!!!

Have a good day everyone.  We are lucky to be in such an interesting, varied

field.

Priscilla - Still in Central Wyoming