[Histonet] Collagen IHC in mouse tissue--need antibody recommendations!

Jack England joeamateur <@t> hotmail.com
Mon Dec 13 18:50:10 CST 2004

Aloha Histonetters, and happy holidays to all!

We've been trying to do immunostaining for collagen I on some murine-derived
cell lines, with next to no success.  I'm almost certain that I've got
collagen in there (PSR shows plenty of red, my poor-man's polarizers make
the red stuff look birefringent, and SEM images show all kinds of fibrous
ECM), but it's not staining for collagen I or III with the antibodies we've
got (both from Sigma, produced in mouse ascites, not tested on mouse
tissue).  I suspect that our antibodies don't react with mouse tissue, but
it's possible that the fixation (we use 10% NBF) or the embedding (paraffin,
which does involve heating the tissue) could be denaturing the antigenic
sites.  I've tried enzymatic antigen retrieval, and it didn't work...next
step is to get ahold of mouse tails and a cryostat and try for a positive
control.

My question for anyone that can help is, assuming that the problem is that
our antibodies do not react with mouse tissue, can any of you recommend
antibodies to collagen I or III that do react with mouse tissue (preferably
FFPE mouse tissue, since we don't have a cryostat)? I've checked the U of
Iowa hybridoma bank and come up empty, and a Biocompare search gave me one
hit--I'm curious if any of you out there can recommend something beyond that
one.

Any takers?

--With warm regards and aloha,
Jack England