[Histonet] Postive charge slides, section loss and drying

Morken, Tim - Labvision tpmorken <@t> labvision.com
Fri Dec 10 12:08:34 CST 2004

Ah, the lore of histology

" When you room temperature dry the slides, the water will dry from the
outside in.  Once the water is out from the edge of the slide, the paraffin
sort of adheres itself to the slide around the tissue, creating a seal that
doesn't allow any more water to escape from under the paraffin."

" We keep a razor blade handy to release water blebs at section edge before
racking up and drying."

"Vertical draining of slides in a polypropylene slide holder is important
before loading slides in horizonal position in a rack."

I'll add my technique (such as it is) to the lore of histology:

To lessen water entrapment I don't let the slide just passively drain.
After picking up a section I do a quick wicking of exess water by holding
the slide vertically on top of  a paper towel and then give the slide  a
quick " wrist snap"  to force out water from under the section (Think of
snapping a whip - it's all in the wrist action!). I'm careful about fragile
tissue and haven't had any problems with tissue damage doing that. It seems
to get rid of most of the water under the section. If the section is
especially fragile I just do the wicking, but do it on the short and long
edges of the slide.

Tim Morken