[Histonet] Re: Ammonia water pH and other bluing solutions[Scanned]

lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 3 04:37:58 CST 2004

Let's see if I can explain pH, hematoxylin, red vs. blue, and bluing, and
not get myself into a murky mess of chemistry.

Hematoxylin solution is actually an aluminum salt and oxidized hematoxylin,
collectively known as aluminum-hematein (Al-hematein).

In order to stain just the DNA and RNA, the pH of the Al-hematein solution
needs to be between 2.2 to 2.9 (most usually around 2.4-2.5).

At this lower (acidic) pH, there are a lot of hydrogen ions (H+) in the
Al-Hematein solution. These excess H+ bind to the Al-hematein, causing a
shift to the red.

When the stained tissue is placed in a solution more alkaline than the
2.2-2.9 stain, there are fewer H+ in the staining solution. This removes the
H+ from the Al-Hematein. This causes a color shift in the dye to the blue
range (i.e.,  "bluing the slides").

Therefore, bluing agents must have a pH higher than the mid-2.5. The higher
the pH (more alkaline), the faster the H+ are removed from the Al-Hematein,
and the faster the "bluing" will take place. Bluing at about pH 5.0 can take
up to about 10 minutes to "blue" totally (all red nuclei to some red/some
blue (= purple looking tissue) to all blue nuclei). At pH 10, it will take
30 seconds.

Tap water is more alkaline than the Al-hematein, so it can be used to blue
slides. If the tap water's pH is around 7, this should take about 5 minutes.
Some lab's water is more alkaline than other labs, so will take less time.
The pH of tap water can change depending upon what chemicals the water
treatment facility is using that day to purify the water, so using just tap
water to blue may have some variability of time.

Most labs rely on an alkaline solution (dilute ammonia, dilute lithium
carbonate, Scott's tap water) to speed up the bluing processing and to not
rely upon the variability of water pH.

Hope this helps.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
William Beaumont Hospital