[Histonet] Paraffin blocks - Dangerous goods?

Heath, Nancy L. NHeath <@t> Lifespan.org
Wed Dec 1 07:40:38 CST 2004

HI Richard,
There are new regs. in place for shipping. Yes when something is considered
"dangerous goods" it has to be packaged & shipped by trained personnel.
SafTPak puts out a great cd for this training. You can go to there website
and pick one up.

Nancy

-----Original Message-----
From: Jackie M O'Connor [mailto:Jackie.O'Connor <@t> abbott.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 12:14 PM
To: Richard Cartun
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu;
histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Paraffin blocks - Dangerous goods?

Unfortunately, they are considered a biohazard -(human tissue), although
my sister unknowingly sent our dead aunt's remains (ashes) via UPS once. I
came home from work and she was right there in a little box, sitting on my
front porch. Anyway, I digress -  I remember this being discussed before
as to why they (blocks) are still biohazardous since they're fixed and
processed.  I'm facing storage problems right now because we don't have
anywhere 'appropriate' to keep them.  Years (and years) ago - we stored
them in the basements and sub-basements (scary 4 foot ceilings) of
hospitals until they were found by lucky rodents or other vermin.  I'm
curious as to how and where people store them now, as well.

Jackie

"Richard Cartun" <Rcartun <@t> harthosp.org>
Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
11/30/2004 10:12 AM