[Histonet] Problems with Leica 1850

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Mon Aug 23 15:54:30 CDT 2004

Interesting, we have three 1850's and never have cutting concerns with
them.  We cut snap frozen bovine skin (tough leathery type) innumerable
tissues from mouse, rat, hamster,  decalcified and undecalcified bone,
thick 50 um brain and have sectioned human tissues without problems and
some exotic other things like biofilms.

  Maybe it is more than just instrument problems and your cryosectioning
technics (blades, temperatures, etc) that needs reevaluation.  If you use
low profile blades exclusively and have not tried high profile blades, you
should TRY the high profile, and try other brands of knife blades.  Some
blades perform much better than others.    Accuedge high profiles are just
as sharp as their low profile blades but much sturdier for cryomicrotomy.

At 10:47 AM 8/23/2004, you wrote:

>We had nothing but "chatter" trouble and other cutting concerns with a new
>Leica 1850 at the facility we used to work at.  They even had the rep from
>Germany in and ended up giving us a new cryostat, same model.  We still had
>periodic problems with it and have been told that the new knife holder
>design for this cryostat has some design flaws!  So, we went back to an
>older model knife holder and that kept our cutting concerns to a
>minimum..still not perfect!  At the facility I work at now, they purchased
>the same model and we have the same problems, mostly with skin specimens.
>The tech who works on this cryostat is very good from a local company and he
>has given us an older knife holder for this one, too, and recently found
>another internal problem that he is ordering parts for.  I can let you know
>exactly what that is when he comes back to fix it.
>
>It is a nice cryostat, but it bothers me why there are so many cutting
>concerns with this model???

>This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
>are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient or the individual
>responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, please
>be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any
>use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail
>is strictly prohibited.
>
>If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify
>the HealthPartners Support Center by telephone at (952) 967-6600.
>You will be reimbursed for reasonable costs incurred in notifying us.

Gayle Callis
MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)
Research Histopathology Supervisor
Veterinary Molecular Biology