[Histonet] PAS with diastase

Bryan Llewellyn bryand <@t> netbistro.com
Wed Aug 18 17:19:06 CDT 2004

I had the same problem some years ago.  I traced it to the malt
diastase.  I switched to hog pancreatic alpha amylase from Sigma
(product # A3176)and the problem immediately disappeared.  I used enough
powder to cover a 1 cm circle about 1 mm deep dissolved in 15 mL (a test
tube full) of distilled water and applied at room temperature for 30
minutes.  That's not histochemically precise, but plenty good enough to
remove all glycogen so the underlying PAS positive material can be
demonstrated.  Buffers and increased temperature should increase the
efficiency.

Bryan Llewellyn