[Histonet] Iron stain question

Bonner, Janet Janet.Bonner <@t> FLHOSP.ORG
Tue Aug 17 07:33:53 CDT 2004

Just a note on the side about the core being negative - this no longer has
to be!  BCC rapidcal immuno decals Bone Marrow cores without compromising
the positivity of the iron (no- I don't work for them).  We just discovered
it and the immuno and iron results are beautiful.

-----Original Message-----
From: lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
To: WWmn916 <@t> aol.com; histonet <@t> pathology.swmed.edu
Sent: 8/15/2004 7:39 AM
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Iron stain question

Usually, it's the bone core that is negative due to the decalcification,
while the clot and the smear are positive.

Couple off the wall thoughts.

Any chance that the smear slide was in the same coplin jar slot as the
control, so that the smear was stuck against the back of the previous
slide?
That would prevent the ferrocyanide solution from "touching" the smear.
If
this is possible, remove the coverslip, remove the mounting media with
xylene (or whatever you use), run the slide back down through alcohols
water, and restain.

Any chance that the smear was fixed in something containing an acid,
like
acetic acid? That might remove the iron. No way to correct this problem.

Did they do a bone core and/or clot? Were they negative? If so, then the
person IS iron deficient, regardless of whether the person has leukemia
or
not.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
William Beaumont Hospital