[Histonet] Bubbles in Thick Sections - Suggestions?

Phillip Huff histophilhuff <@t> yahoo.com
Thu Aug 12 23:02:38 CDT 2004

We cut sections of tissue between 20 um and 30 um thick to view blood vessels after being stained with CD31. We also section tissue at thicknesses of 12 to 16 um for our H+E stains.

We sometimes get bubbles when we coverslip with non-aqueous mounting media and hate to see them in well-stained slides. Does anyone have any suggestions for not getting bubbles in thick sections of tissue? After the last xylene step we allow the sections to dry to ensure that the tissues are not wet and we are currently using CureMount II, a non-aqueous UV-cured mounting media from Instrumedics.

Help me destroy the bubble monster! Please....

Thanks in advance,

Phil