[Histonet] fixing immuno and antibody tissues

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Wed Aug 11 11:22:39 CDT 2004

Paul,

Fredenburgh (Richard Allan) gave an explanation (chemistry is one of his
hobbies!) that bound water on protein can be removed along with free water
found in tissue spaces.  The object is to retain bound water, and only
remove the free water.   If you overexpose to alcohol during dehydration or
add heat to processing during dehydration steps, bound water is removed,
tissue becomes more brittle, dry, difficult to section.  I think you
answered your own question with your last sentence, although clearing
agent, e.g. xylene is there to remove alcohol in preparation for
infiltration by paraffin and/or some plastics (methylmethacrylate).  Xylene
is considered hardening to tissues also, more so than some of the xylene
substitutes, eg Propar and Clearite 3 - single aliphatic
hydrocarbons.  Heat during paraffin infiltration also dries tissue and
contributes to brittleness (many of us have had paraffin bath temperature
failures, and the tissue is "cooked" into rockhard nuggets when the
paraffin is too hot.

Just some thoughts - also, in our work with murine CD marker
immunohistochemistry, any aldehyde fixative creates chaos, and
immnuonstaining is never achieved even with minimal fixation time, or after
any kind of enzyme digestion and retrieval method - CD4 and CD8 are
notorious (how many times have I said this- ad nauseum!?) .  We then rely
on fresh tissue frozen sections fixed after air drying and with acetone
alcohol mixture OR acetone fixation) precipitating these antigens rather
than aldehyde crosslinkage.   Maybe some day there will be CD4 and
CD8clones that work with FFPE mouse tissue ----- waiting --------------

Gayle Callis
MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)
Research Histopathology Supervisor