[Histonet] fixing immuno and antibody tissues

Mildred Fail failm <@t> musc.edu
Wed Aug 11 04:08:46 CDT 2004

Extended periods of time in alcohol and/or xylene will cause brittleness in small biopsies
Rena Fail

>>> "Webster, Paul" <PWebster <@t> hei.org> 08/10/04 20:06 PM >>>
Hi George,

I think your questions will provoke more questions than answers. The problem is two-fold - good morphology with unlimited accessibility.
We want to preserve morphology so that we can immobilize antigens and localize them to specific, identifiable regions in the tissue, but we also want to give antibodies the maximum access to antigens. Sometimes these two aims cannot be met and often the end result will depend on the physical properties of the antigen. For example, if an antigen is embedded deep inside a membrane, then gaining access will require strong extraction treatments. Conversely, a soluble antigen will require stronger fixation to immobilize it in the tissue.

Unfixed tissues are usually immobilized by freezing. The frozen tissue is then sectioned, stuck to a slide and fixed, either by chemical fixation (aldehyde or acohol) or by drying. Sometimes it is a combination of these treatments. The reason why different treatments produce different results is because they offer varying degrees of accessibility.

It is interesting that your experience rules out fixatives because they "totally ruined your work". I guess that fixation treatments you performed were interfered with your antibody labeling in some way. However, in electron microscopy, chemical fixation is almost always a prerequisite for immunolabeling. Many antigens survive embedding in acrylic or epoxy resins. Similarly, there are many enzymes that remain active after aldehyde treatment and form the basis of the very successful field of EM cytochemistry. I suspect that antibody production technology has greatly improved over the last 40 years and may be one reason why immunolabeling has become more versatile and successful, even on fixed tissues.

It is interesting that you perceive fixation as doing damage and then the subsequent treatments, which often involve boiling sections in citrate buffer in a pressure cooker (!), as repairing the damage done by the fixative.  I would suspect that a good fixation (e.g. in phosphate-buffered formaldehyde) will immobilize most proteins in a tissue and form cross-links between the proteins that may interfere with antibody access to antigens. Only the subsequent hydrolysis that damages the tissue section and which is often called antigen retrieval, is able to restore the access to antigens.

Using unfixed tissues may offer easy access to antigens but then you run the risk of antigen migration if there is no immobilization treatment. This may not be a problem in histology where tissue sections are examined at relatively low magnification, but it is an important problem in electron microscopy, where antigens moving distances of less than 1µm can produce meaningless results.

This brings me to a question of my own. If anyone is stillrreading, maybe they could offer and explanation of why histologists use shorter processing times for smaller tissue blocks. I have been reading the recent thread about smaller blocks being brittle because they were being processed for too long a time. Does anyone know why the tissue becomes brittle? I am going to stick out my neck and say it is probably not because of over-fixation in formaldehyde because I routinely cut thin sections (100nm) of tissues that have been left in formaldehyde for weeks. The tissues are infiltrated with sucrose, frozen and sectioned at -120 degrees and there is no difference between them and tissues fixed for only a few hours. Could the problem with brittle blocks be a result of exposure to alcohol or xylene?

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Paul Webster.

Paul Webster, Ph.D.
House Ear Institute
2100 West Third Street
Los Angeles
CA 90057
phone (213) 273 8026
fax      (213) 413 6739
email: pwebster <@t> hei.org

Disclaimer: I am an electron microscopist who has been hanging out here because it currently seems more fun than the MSA listserver.