[Histonet] Spleen autofluorescence

Bill Sinai bills <@t> icpmr.wsahs.nsw.gov.au
Wed Aug 4 17:13:48 CDT 2004

Many many years ago I had a similar problem in gut sections.  The
autofluorescence after formaldehyde fixation was very strong in the
argentaffin cells.  Our Histochemist at that time suggested I do a
haematoxylin stain (very briefly Mayer's 30sec - 1min no differentiation)
and I was very surprised when it quenched most of the autofluoresence.

Bill Sinai
Laboratory Manager
Tissue Pathology, ICPMR
Westmead NSW 2145
Australia
Ph 02 9845 7774

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu]On Behalf Of Sharon
Cooperman
Sent: Thursday, 05 August 2004 6:03 AM
To: Helen Newbery
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Spleen autofluorescence

I have had pretty good luck quenching autofluorescence in FFPE spleen
with sodium borohydride 0.5 mg/ml in PBS pH 8.0 x 10 minutes x 3
changes.  It works better than H2O2 for me.

Sharon

--
Sharon Cooperman       	     <scoop <@t> mail.nih.gov>
NIH, NICHD, CBMB                     301.435-7735

This electronic message and any attachments may be confidential.  If you
are not the intended recipient of this message would you please delete the
message and any attachments and advise the sender. Western Sydney
Area Health Services (WSAHS) uses virus scanning software but excludes
any liability for viruses contained in any email or attachment.

This email may contain privileged and confidential information intended
only for the use of the addressees named above. If you are not the
intended recipient of this email, you are hereby notified that any use,
dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this email is prohibited. If
you have received this email in error, please notify WSAHS
immediately.

Any views expressed in this email are those of the individual sender
except where the sender expressly and with authority states them
to be the views of WSAHS.