[Histonet] vibratome or frozen sections for immuno

Geoff McAuliffe mcauliff <@t> umdnj.edu
Mon Apr 19 17:16:49 CDT 2004

Re: the Vibratome v. frozen sections for immunostaining discussion.

    I looked up the papers Charles mentions below. The first two deal
with tract tracing and thus do not pertain to the original question
about penetration of antibodies/immunostaining reagents into 50 micron
sections. The second two papers use both Vibratome and frozen sections.
Hartig et al.,  J. Neurosci Meth. 67:89-95, 1996 finds no difference
between their results with the two types of sections. Patel et al.,
Neurosci. Lett. 63:185-190, 1986 uses both types of sections, but their
Vibratome sections are 50-100 microns while the cryostat sections are
2-6 microns. This does not seem like a valid comparison to me. However,
they did not mention any difference in results between one type of
section and the other.
    I think confusions arises in the intended purpose of the sections.
Certainly for immuno some sort of permeabilization is usually used to
insure that the very large antibody molecules penetrate into the cell
cytoplasm. This is usually freeze-thaw (usually after appropriate
cryoprotection), Triton, Tween,  buffered ethanol treatment or some
combination of these. However, for neuronal tract tracing large
molecules need not penetrate the cell membrane, the HRP (or whatever
tracer) is already in the cytoplasm and only DAB and peroxide,
relatively small molecules, need to penetrate the cell. At the same
time, one does not want the tracer to leak out of the cytoplasm. Perhaps
Vibratome sections are more appropriate for that task but I suspect
other variables would need to be considered as well

Geoff

Charles Scouten wrote:

> Numerous studies have made the comparison. See a selected few below.
>
>It has been popular wisdom for 20 years that Vibratome sections, by not facturing the cell membrane, preserve the cytosol better and give more intense staining of cytosol proteins.  I have personally seen differences with HRP staining, but didn't try to prove that some other variable was not responsible.
>
>I have located the studies below, and many others, that have made the comparison.  I do not have access to the complete text, and do not know if all of these say the vibratome results were better.  I would not expect vibratome to do better with membrane bound proteins.
>
>The science is there and done, I would compile a complete list of recent references like those below (maybe about 20-30) if somebody will volunteer to look them all up in Science Direct or the original Journals and check whether Vibratome sectioning was better, worse or the same compared to cryostat sectioning.
>

>Current concepts in neuroanatomical tracing
>C. Köbbert, R. Apps, I. Bechmann, J.L. Lanciego, J. Mey & S. Thanos Progress in Neurobiology, 2000, 62:4:327-351
>solon <@t> uni-muenster.de
>. The success of labelling can be estimated roughly, and the tissue can be sectioned with a vibratome. Cryosectioning of the tissue is not recommended, since some dye leakage occurs during the procedure.
>

>Neural tract tracing using Di-I: a review and a new method to make fast Di-I faster in human brain
>D. Larry Sparks, Lih-Fen Lue, Timothy A. Martin & Joseph Rogers Journal of Neuroscience Methods, 2000, 103:1:3 - 10
>lsparks <@t> mail.sunhealth.org
>if a fluorescent Di-I product is desired, infiltrating and embedding brain tissues in polyacrylamide prior to sectioning by vibratome eliminates the necessity of dehydrating and clearing the tissue sections prior to coverslipping ( Hayaran and Bijlani, 1992).
>(too thick)
>Although the thickness of the vibratome sections (50 µm) was less than optimal for  demonstrating individual axons, individual fiber tracts could occasionally be traced for as much as 5 mm or more, as shown here. Cryostat and other techniques were used to achieve thinner sections, but requiring freezing of the tissue, resulted in diffuse smearing of the fluorescence label
>
>Somebody let me know if this is favorable to my case.  The comparison was made, but I can't get the full text to see how it came out.
>

> Triple immunofluorescence labelling of parvalbumin, calbindin-D28k and calretinin in rat and monkey brain
>Hartig, W. / Bruckner, G. / Brauer, K. / Seeger, G. / Bigl, V., Journal of Neuroscience Methods, Aug 1996
> [...]
< other stuff deleted in the interest of brevity.

--
--
Geoff McAuliffe, Ph.D.