[Histonet] vibratome/frozen immuno, soap residue, autofluorescence, and bad list posting habits

Charles Scouten cwscouten <@t> myneurolab.com
Wed Apr 14 14:37:46 CDT 2004

 Numerous studies have made the comparison. See a selected few below.

It has been popular wisdom for 20 years that Vibratome sections, by not facturing the cell membrane, preserve the cytosol better and give more intense staining of cytosol proteins.  I have personally seen differences with HRP staining, but didn't try to prove that some other variable was not responsible.

I have located the studies below, and many others, that have made the comparison.  I do not have access to the complete text, and do not know if all of these say the vibratome results were better.  I would not expect vibratome to do better with membrane bound proteins.

The science is there and done, I would compile a complete list of recent references like those below (maybe about 20-30) if somebody will volunteer to look them all up in Science Direct or the original Journals and check whether Vibratome sectioning was better, worse or the same compared to cryostat sectioning.

Current concepts in neuroanatomical tracing
C. Köbbert, R. Apps, I. Bechmann, J.L. Lanciego, J. Mey & S. Thanos Progress in Neurobiology, 2000, 62:4:327-351
solon <@t> uni-muenster.de
. The success of labelling can be estimated roughly, and the tissue can be sectioned with a vibratome. Cryosectioning of the tissue is not recommended, since some dye leakage occurs during the procedure.

Neural tract tracing using Di-I: a review and a new method to make fast Di-I faster in human brain
D. Larry Sparks, Lih-Fen Lue, Timothy A. Martin & Joseph Rogers Journal of Neuroscience Methods, 2000, 103:1:3 - 10
lsparks <@t> mail.sunhealth.org
if a fluorescent Di-I product is desired, infiltrating and embedding brain tissues in polyacrylamide prior to sectioning by vibratome eliminates the necessity of dehydrating and clearing the tissue sections prior to coverslipping ( Hayaran and Bijlani, 1992).
(too thick)
Although the thickness of the vibratome sections (50 µm) was less than optimal for  demonstrating individual axons, individual fiber tracts could occasionally be traced for as much as 5 mm or more, as shown here. Cryostat and other techniques were used to achieve thinner sections, but requiring freezing of the tissue, resulted in diffuse smearing of the fluorescence label

Somebody let me know if this is favorable to my case.  The comparison was made, but I can't get the full text to see how it came out.

 Triple immunofluorescence labelling of parvalbumin, calbindin-D28k and calretinin in rat and monkey brain
Hartig, W. / Bruckner, G. / Brauer, K. / Seeger, G. / Bigl, V., Journal of Neuroscience Methods, Aug 1996
...Thereafter, two brains were cut on a Vibratome (TSE, Kronberg) at 50 1lm thickness...monkey brains the tissue was cryo-protected by equili- bration...about 4 days and subsequent cryo-protection. 2.3. Tnple immu7...results were obtained with Vibratome and frozen sections and with...

  53.  Adenosine deaminase and histidine decarboxylase coexist in certain neurons of the rat brain
Patel, B.T. / Tudball, N. / Wada, H. / Watanabe, T., Neuroscience Letters, Jan 1986
...further 24 h at 4?C. Thick vibratome sections (50-100/~m) were obtained...required, the fixed blocks were cryo- protected with 301~:~ sucrose...and dried at 20~C for 24 h. Vibratome and cryostat sections were...immunoreactivity in rat brain vibratome sections was consistent with...

Cordially,
Charles W.  Scouten, Ph.D.
myNeuroLab.com
5918 Evergreen Blvd.