[Histonet] Microwave Staining

Steven E. Slap siksik03 <@t> comcast.net
Fri Apr 16 07:24:40 CDT 2004

Hi HistoNetters

Dave asks whether lab microwaves are any
different behind the label.  The answer is, some
are, and some aren't.  Many lab microwaves start
life as kitchen microwaves, and have their
electronics replaced.  Others are built from the
ground up for the lab.  It's important to ask,
and you get what you pay for.

That being said, what all lab microwaves should provide are:

°  vented cavity for safety

°  accurate, reproducible, calibrated power or temperature control

°  tested protocols for whatever application you need

°  cycle time of 2 seconds or less or continuous power option

°  agitation or stirring

A NCCLS document is in the final stages which
will address the use of domestic microwaves in
the lab.

best regards,
Steven Slap
Microwave Consultant