[Histonet] Decal question

KAELPERS <@t> aol.com KAELPERS <@t> aol.com
Wed Apr 14 20:05:02 CDT 2004

We decal and cut femurs on all types of species.  We also experience the
articular cartilage wanting to flip during staining if we don't use charged
slides.
We are use basically the protocol mentioned previously.
We us Surgipath Decal I for decalcification.  Rinse thoroughly before
processing.  We are embedding in Paraplast embedding medium which is sturdy enough to
withhold the bone specimens.
Shave block until surfaced, set on ice for approximately 30-40 minutes.  We
also use 15 ml of Surgipaths Sta-on in our tissue baths.  Section at 4 microns
and place on plus slides, let air dry overnight.  Rarely do we use the oven
unless we need to rush a sample and then we would put it in a 60 degree oven for
about 25 minutes.  I don't know if this helped but it sounds like most people
use similar protocols and have from time to time the same issues.

lge