[Histonet] er/pr charging

Luck, Greg D. LuckG <@t> empirehealth.org
Thu Apr 1 14:17:55 CST 2004

Terri,

Our pathologists interpretation of ER/PR IHC is stated as either "positive
or negative".  This in our estimation does not meet the standard of either
quantitative or semi-quantitative (which is specified in the CPT code 88361
application description.  We therefore are continuing to code these as
88342's.  I think that if the interpretation is stated as a raw "numerical"
value (eg. 45% or 70% rather than a less empirical statement of 1+ or 3+)
there is good justification to use the new 88361 code.

Greg Luck
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
Deaconess Medical Center
800 W. 5th Ave
Spokane, WA 99204
509.473.7077
luckg <@t> empirehealth.org

-----Original Message-----
From: Hallada, Teri [mailto:thallada <@t> noch.org]
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2004 4:25 AM
To: Kelly Simon; Joyce Cline
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] er/pr charging

I believe you must "quantitative" the results in some format. Our
pathologists here don't quantitative ER/PR only Her2, so we don't use 88361
for ER/PR only Her2. Is this correct?
Teri Hallada BS MT CT (ASCP)
thallada <@t> noch.org

http://www.cap.org/apps/docs/cap_today/feature_stories/0104InWithNewCPT2004.
html

> Kelly Simon, HTL (ASCP)
> Dynacare Laboratories
> Seattle, WA
>
> --- Joyce Cline <jcline <@t> wchsys.org> wrote:
> > Does everyone use the CPT code 88342 for charging
> > the er/pr immuno's. Or is there another code that is
> > used for the technical component?
> >
> > ***** CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE *****
> > This message contains confidential information and
> > is intended only for
> > the individual named. If you are not the named
> > addressee you should not
> > disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please
> > notify the sender
> > immediately by e-mail if you have received this
> > e-mail by mistake and
> > delete this e-mail from your system.

Confidentiality Statement:
This message is intended only for the individual or entity to which it
is addressed.  It may contain privileged, confidential information which
is exempt from disclosure under applicable laws.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please note that you are strictly prohibited from
disseminating or distributing this information (other than to the
intended recipient) or copying this information.  If you have received
this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail or
by telephone at (616) 842-3600.  Thank you.