[Histonet] isopropanol as dehydrating agent in microwave processing

John Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Tue Sep 23 00:05:38 CDT 2003

For almost all applications in practical
histotechnology you can use isopropanol
instead of ethanol. Both these alcohols
mix similarly with water and with clearing
agents such as xylene or chloroform.
Neither ethanol nor isopropanol will mix with
solid or melted paraffin wax.

In some microwave processing techniques,
specimens are moved from isopropanol into wax.
The microwave heat is said to evaporate the
isopropanol and allow infiltration with wax,
without the need for an intermediate solvent.
This method is recommended in Kok & Boon (1992)
Microwave for Microscopists, 3rd ed. There was
some heated Histonet discussion about all this
in the late 1990s. Some of it may still be in
the archives:  www.histosearch.com

For a thesis on microwave processing you will
need a copy of Kok & Boon's book as a starting
point, and you will need to follow up their
references. If your library subscribes to
Web of Science you will be able to find recent
papers that cite earlier papers and books.
Without access to Web of Science it is impossible
to find out if someone else has recently done
and published your intended research.

Hope this helps,
--
John A. Kiernan