[Histonet] Finger Nail Softening

Gudrun Lang g.lang <@t> bigfoot.de
Thu Sep 18 10:51:17 CDT 2003

10% KOH soften nail-tissue. We let the tissue in the solution for a few hours.
Burck writes: tissue should be fixed in formalin, Alk. till 70%, than treat with "Chlordioxydessigsäure" (=Diaphenol, =Chloratren from Chroma). This solution bleach Melanin.

I hope this helps.
Gundi Lang
general hospital, Linz, Austria
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Brent Norris
  To: histonet <@t> pathology.swmed.edu
  Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2003 4:18 PM
  Subject: [Histonet] Finger Nail Softening

  Hey all!

  I was asked a question about softening finger nails before or during processing that would make them easier to cut and allow them to hold on to the slide. They want to do this instead of any kind of treatment to the nails after they are embedded in paraffin so that it isn't just on the surface. If anyone has a procedure for this or a reference from a manual I would really appreciate it. You can email me directly at   banorris <@t> utmb.edu

  thanks once again

  Brent A. Norris