[Histonet] Computer system question

D. Mayhew mayhew <@t> vaxxine.com
Sun Sep 14 16:59:55 CDT 2003

Hi Sheila,

We are currently in the middle of implementing Meditech 4.9 and decided
not to use Order Entry into the Pathology Module.
Instead we have the nurses enter the Pathology specimens into the Lab
module in order to get a barcoded label with the date and time of
collection on it.  In the OE Module there are mandatory queries
regarding diagnosis and operative procedure, as well as type of tissue
that are attached to the category of Path.  The type of tissue is pulled
on to the label as well. We had Meditech create a priority of P in order
to keep these specimens from cluttering up the outstanding lists for
regular Lab specimens.

When the specimens arrive at the Histology Lab, they are electronically
received, and that "Lab" test is automatically resulted as NP (no
Print).  The specimen is then entered in to the Pathology module by the
Histo techs, and of course this date and time is recorded.  This allows
us to put the specimens in the order we prefer and avoids the problem of
the Breast Screening clinic entering 3 breast biopsies in a row, for
example.

Lee Mayhew MLT
Niagara Health System
St. Catharines  Ont.