[Histonet] No lab is an island

Amos Brooks amosbrooks <@t> earthlink.net
Thu Oct 30 15:10:40 CST 2003

Mary,
         I am sure you can get acceptable results using Prefer. The problem
is that it is not standardized. The manufacturers of antibodies test them
on formalin fixed tissues or frozen sections.  Those are the choices. If
you use something else then the results you get from the tests you do is
limited to your lab only. If you send tissue out, other labs can not
perform the same tests or more specifically many of the tests not done at
your facility.
         Perhaps manufacturers should look into testing other fixatives.
The problem here is that there are so many fixatives on the market right
now that unless there was some collusion (which would be unethical) between
the companies they can't pick any one company with out alienating all the
others.
         If we want to change fixatives from formalin to something else, we
need as a WHOLE to establish what EVERY lab MUST switch to and start from
there. (Perhaps some regulatory agency would be of some help there ...
ouch) Because if we do not then there will be pockets of Prefer and pockets
and PenFix and pockets of formalin. With out an established standard the
labs can not communicate. There would need to be countless procedures and
controls fixed in countless methods. Imagine trying to find an ALK-1
control fixed 10 different ways. (Good bloody luck, it's hard enough
finding it in formalin).
         Prefer may indeed be better but currently, for better or for
worse, we are stuck with formalin since it is the standard.
Amos Brooks