[Histonet] Black pigment on Bronch Lavages

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> covad.net
Thu Oct 30 04:24:12 CST 2003

Just curious - how did you manage to "rule out carbon"? Since there isn't a histology special stain or a IHC antibody for carbon (that I'm aware of) - how was the possibility that it might be carbon "ruled out"?

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
William Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, MI 48073
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Kathy.Johnston <@t> CLS.ab.ca
  To: histonet <@t> pathology.swmed.edu
  Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 4:30 PM
  Subject: [Histonet] Black pigment on Bronch Lavages

  One of our pathologists and myself have been trying to identify some black intracellular pigmentation in a bronch lavage.  We have ruled out carbon, and bleaching the section did not work, therefore is not melanin.  It is a very fine dark black pigment and appears quite uniform in shape and size.  Our pathologist is thinking that it is lead (the patient is a long time professional painter), but lead stains are negative.  My other thought is aluminum deposits but have not yet stained for this.

  I am hoping someone on the "Net"  may have some idea of what this may be, and if there is a method for demonstrating it.

  Thanks very much in advance!

  Kathy Johnston
  Tech II - Special Stains
  Anatomic Pathology - FMC