[Histonet] Black pigment on Bronch Lavages

Mark Hayes mark.hayes <@t> mailbox.uq.edu.au
Wed Oct 29 17:26:40 CST 2003

HI

Do you have access to an electron microscope?  If so does it have an
EDAX (if my memory serves me correctly) attachment or can you send it to
one.   I used one of these many years ago (circa 1982) at Sydney
University to identify and semiquantitate some unique gold chloride
crystals.   EDAX or EDX stands for energy dispersive X-ray microanalysis
(EDX).  If you can isolate your specs onto an EM target you should at
least be able to get an elemental analysis.   Titanium oxide is also a
component of paint and is utterly inert – I think it needs HF to
dissolve it.  Hope this helps.

Cheers MarkH