[Histonet] GFP antibodies

Rothammer, Kristen Kristen.Rothammer <@t> stjude.org
Tue Oct 28 16:53:03 CST 2003

Hello Everyone-

I am desperately, and rather unsuccessfully, trying to find a better way
to look at eGFP in frozen kidney sections from mice.

I have read a wealth of info on histonet regarding use of GFP
antibodies, and I have tried a number of methods, but I am still not
having any luck.

I have tried the following:

(1)     looking directly at eGFP in frozen sections (sections are just a
few weeks old) right after 15 min fixation with 4% paraformaldehyde
(fresh 16% paraformaldehyde diluted in PBS), followed by washes in
PBS--> no GFP is observed

(2)     looking directly at eGFP in same frozen sections without
fixation, coverslipping in PBS --> no GFP is observed

(3)     fixation in paraformaldehyde as described above followed by a
GFP antibody conjugated to a fluorochrome -->  very little signal is
observed

(4)     same fixation, followed by incubation with GFP antibody, follwed
by biotinylated anti-rabbit, and finally by streptavidin-Alexa 568

*         This method resulted in EXTREMELY high background.  I tried to
block endogenous biotin by using both the egg/milk protocol and
biotin/avidin drops from Vector Labs, both with little success.

I mount my slides with Flouromount, do NOT seal with nail polish, and I
do not do antigen retrieval (this is not necessary for frozen sections,
right?).

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Kristen Rothammer