[Histonet] Auto stainer and coverslipper

Chan Wai Kam doscwk <@t> nus.edu.sg
Sun Oct 19 20:09:51 CDT 2003

Hi Histonetters,

Thanks for your response to my query regarding the use of manual versus
auto coverslipper.  The reason I asked is that I was wondering whether
an auto machine could perform as well as a human when it comes to
eliminating certain unwanted stuff such as this problem of air bubbles
during coverslipping.

I find that the consistency of the mounting media plays a part as one
that is too thick tends to give rise to air bubbles and so is how one
lowers the coverslip onto the slide. Usually it's not a problem for me
as I would either gently apply some force over the coverslip and push
out the air bubbles, or if I'm unable to get rid of some of them, I just
soak the slide in xylene and reapply another coverslip. I was just
wondering whether we should get an automated machine to make things
easier, that is if the machine is great to have in a histo lab.

Thanks
Julee Chan
Orthopaedic Surgery
National University of Singapore