[Histonet] Sentinel nodes

Luck, Greg D. LuckG <@t> empirehealth.org
Wed Oct 8 16:35:08 CDT 2003

Jennifer,

We cut levels x 3 on all negative sentinel lymph node blocks.  Levels 1 & 3
become H&E's and two #2 levels are held for possible  IHC's.  We rough cut
into the block approximately 1/3 of it's depth and pickup the 1st level.
The 2nd levels are at mid block and the third level is at the deeper 2/3's
of the block.  I guess in answer to your question about intervals between
levels, here it is determined relative to the depth of the tissue in the
paraffin block.

Greg Luck
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
Deaconess Medical Center
800 W. 5th Ave
Spokane, WA 99204
509.473.7077
luckg <@t> empirehealth.org

-----Original Message-----
From: JENNIFER SCHUMACHER [mailto:jschuma1 <@t> FAIRVIEW.ORG]
Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2003 1:35 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.EDU
Subject: [Histonet] Sentinel nodes

Good afternoon everyone,
We routinely cut our negative sentinel node biopsies shallow, cutting 5
levels (mounting levels 2 and 4 for IHC), approximately 30 microns between
levels.  Now, a pathologist read that "most institutions" are cutting them
deeper, approximately 100 microns between levels.  This is totally an
INFORMAL poll, but I would appreciate any feedback from the community.  I
will check the archives as well, but thought I would get the question out
there before everyone heads off to Kentucky:-)  Thanks.  Jennifer