[Histonet] Exhaust Block

louise renton louise_renton <@t> hotmail.com
Mon Nov 17 03:58:56 CST 2003

How about a simple mathematical calculation....measure the thickness of the
embedded tissue and then estimate how many sections that will produce. Then
present this to your pathologist, it might help to convince him of the waste
of time and resources.  I have cut over 400 sections from an average sized
block of tissue. QED

Louise Renton
Bone Research Unit
MRC
Johannesburg
South Africa
Tel & fax +27 11 717 2298
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana"

----Original Message Follows----
From: Gayle Callis <gcallis <@t> montana.edu>
To: Cindy DuBois <ccdub <@t> earthlink.net>, Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Exhaust Block
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 14:48:08 -0700

An interesting message on something I had never heard done before although
we would often exhaust a block when it was postive.  I am so curious as to
why someone would need to do this??

Is it fear that if he made a mistake, it will never be detected or so he
thinks?

Is it to keep another pathologist from making money at his expense - after
you did all the initial work?

Is he afraid of criticism or disagreement about his diagnosis from someone
else?

What if an important test, say something in the molecular biology area is
needed, even on that "negative" sample" - which your laboratory cannot
perform, and you have no original sample left?

I worked for a pathologist who alway maintained the tissue blocks and
slides were the property of a patient and should be available for any
consultation, at any time at request of attending physician or patient (who
usually was going through their attending doc).  Sometimes a patient had a
difficult borderline diagnosis (not sure negative or positive) and copies
of their reports plus original slides or recuts plus the original blocks
were sent off with patient without question.

What a shame! I hope he is never my pathologist! plus what a waste of time!

Gayle Callis
MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)
Research Histopathology Supervisor
Veterinary Molecular Biology