[Histonet] Torn tissues followup

Deborah Faichney d.a.faichney <@t> stir.ac.uk
Tue Nov 11 08:02:26 CST 2003

Hello Julien,

Which species of fish are you working with?
-We routinely work with a variety of fish and find  different techniques are
required to obtain good sections dependent upon the species, size etc.

When fixing the fish are you opening the abdomen & making an incision into
the head to allow the penetration of fixative?
-Poorly fixed skin /muscle causes 'holes' and 'tearing' in sections.

We cut, after surface decalcification for approx. 30 min-1hr , at 5 microns
and float out on to distilled water in a heated waterbath.  The slide is
then put into an oven set a couple of degrees above the melting point of the
wax for 1hr prior to staining with H&E.

When you say,

''But this methods complicates recognition of sections  to the fish
length.......enables us to keep track of how far we are in the fishe's
body''

-If you need to be able to match serial/consecutive sections to the block
containing one fish you could give each whole fish a unique number/code and
also write the section number to the slide that way you shouldn't have any
problem with identification from original blocks

eg. 	fish 1 could be 1-1, 1-2, 1-3 etc

	fish 2 could be 2-1, 2-2, 2-3 etc

Just a few thoughts although it is difficult to help out with your problems
without knowing more information.  if you are interested you could e-mail me
directly and I will send you a copy of our methods.

Hopefully this helps you.

Debbie

Debbie Faichney
Institute of Aquaculture