[Histonet] Re: tape

Favara, Cynthia (NIH/NIAID) cfavara <@t> niaid.nih.gov
Fri Nov 7 10:48:28 CST 2003

My $.02. I think there is a significant difference tape transfer for FROZEN
sections and PARAFFIN. I have found the paraffin system to be more
cumbersome and produce worse results than  careful sectioning. However the
system used for frozen sections can be extremely useful.

Cynthia Favara
NIAID/NIH/RML/LPVD
903 South 4th Street
Hamilton, MT 59840
406-363-9317

-----Original Message-----
From: Sebree Linda A. [mailto:la.sebree <@t> hosp.wisc.edu]
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2003 3:24 PM
To: Thom Jensen; murphy.linda <@t> mayo.edu; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Re: tape

In all fairness I feel that I have to add my $.02 worth.  In my last
research position (a number of years ago) I needed to section cross sections
of frozen rabbit heart that had had radioactive elements perfused through
it.  We needed adjacent sections that would be as identical as possible in
order to overlay autoradiographic images and histochemically stained
images.  Using the Instrumedics tape transfer system, I was able to produce
exquisite, near identical sections that enabled us to compile the data we
needed for our research project.  Granted, I never tried the system with
paraffin sectioning but at least in sectioning frozens, the system worked
brilliantly for me.

Linda A. Sebree, HT(ASCP)
University of Wisconsin Hospital & Clinics
IHC/ISH Laboratory
A4/204-2472
600 Highland Ave.
Madison, WI 53792