[Histonet] Grossing wage

Sellis4051 <@t> aol.com Sellis4051 <@t> aol.com
Tue Nov 4 00:32:18 CST 2003

I was trained to gross prior to getting my bachelor's degree when I had an
associates degree in Histotechnology and was a HT(ASCP). They paid me the same
wage that I would have gotten doing routine histology. I grossed derms, gyns,
noncancerous uteri, appendix, gall bladder, hernia sacs, breast reductions,
digits. Unusual cases were held aside for the pathologist to gross later in the
day. The person who took my job after me had an anatomy degree but no histology
experience. I believe she was paid the same as me. This was in Seattle in
1995-1998.

Some universities offer a bachelor's degree in something they are calling a
PA - Pathologist's Assistant. There are a couple people like this now in the
Seattle area and I believe that they getting paid better than histotechs. I
don't find this surprising since with the loss of histology schools, people are
being trained "off the street" and aren't expecting much pay wise. So grossing
has become something that is seen to need a bachelors degree (and thus higher
pay) whereas histotechs are losing their prestige. (Have I opened a can of
worms here?)

I do not know what the cut off is for the PA to turn a case over to the
pathologist. I have seen them gross cancerous uteri and breast.

Sandra Ellis
current grad student